Ricky Gervais Gervais and hypocrisy

jg73340 posted on Mar 11, 2011 at 04:06AM
“How can you think of saying, 'Friend, let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,' when you can't see past the log in your own eye? Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend's eye.”

Now, I know Gervais and many of his followers are not big fans of the person who said this. My intention in posting it is not to start a religious debate. I posted it because I think it makes a good point. The quote is about hypocrisy. Jesus is not saying we should never point out other people’s character flaws. What he is saying is that we should first think if we have the character flaw ourselves before telling others that they have it. If we do have it, we do not have the right to point it out to others, until we overcome it ourselves.

Now, two thing Gervais has criticized a lot of people for is self-righteousness, and ironically, hypocrisy. But is not he, himself, quite self-righteous and hypocritical? I mean, his rants against the actors in Hollywood at the 2010 and 2011 Golden Globes were more self-righteous than the worst sermons made by Christian ministers.

Besides his self-righteousness, there were many examples of his hypocrisy on display at the 2010 and 2011 Golden Globes. For example, in 2010 Golden Globes he laughs at Colin Farrell and Mel Gibson for being drunkards, but he himself is holding a glass of beer when he does this. He admits he is also a drunkard, and then roasts Mel Gibson for being one. Is not this hypocritical?

Gervais hates Mel Gibson for his rant against the Jews (which was terrible) but does not Gervais constantly make similar rants against Christians (which are equally terrible)? Why does Gervais think it is acceptable for him to hate Christians, but it is wrong for Mel Gibson to hate Jews?

Any thoughts? I know I’m a Christian, but, if possible, please try to keep your responses intelligent and civilized.Answer the points I made instead of attacking me.

Ricky Gervais No उत्तरों