Book to Screen Adaptations Upcoming Book Adaptations (that are without trailers and/or official websites)

cressida posted on Oct 15, 2007 at 12:19AM
This forum is dedicated to reporting and commenting on book-to-screen adaptations that are perhaps more substantiated than rumours, but definitely do not have trailers or official websites yet.
last edited on Oct 23, 2007 at 03:59PM

Book to Screen Adaptations 19 उत्तरों

Click here to write a response...
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना cressida said…
Tintin (2009)
-A Hollywoodized version of Tintin is being considered right now. Imdb.com does not offer any details to non-IMDbPro users but Wikipedia (so trust the news at your own risk) states that "in 2007 it was announced that a Tintin trilogy will be produced, with [Peter] Jackson directing the first and [Steven] Spielberg directing the second. Both film makers would serve as producers for all three. The movies will also be done using a large amount of CGI, with the end result intended to mimic Hergé's original drawings."

Twilight (2010)
-Based on Stephenie Meyer's book of the same name. More info on the link site.
last edited एक साल  से अधिक पुराना
The Lovely Bones (2008)
-Adapted from Alice Sebold's novel about A young girl who was brutally raped and murdered, watches the effects of her death on her family from Heaven, as her parents drift apart, her father becomes obsessed with vengeance and her sister grows into the woman she would never be.
-Directed by Peter Jackson, starring Ryan Gosling, Rachel Weisz, Susan Sarandon, and Stanley Tucci. IMDb site link.

10/23/07 Update: Just read on IMDb that Mark Wahlberg has replaced Ryan Gosling as the father. Folliwing is the statement: "Mark Wahlberg has replaced Ryan Gosling in director Peter Jackson's new film - one day before shooting began. Gosling pulled out of The Lovely Bones on Friday, despite the fact he had gained 20 pounds and grown a beard for his role. The Half Nelson actor quit over creative differences, according to industry paper Daily Variety. The Departed star Wahlberg signed up to play the part, a grieving father of a murdered girl, on Sunday. The Lovely Bones, the movie adaptation of Alice Sebold's bestseller, also stars Rachel Weisz. Filming began in Pennsylvania on Monday."
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना ktlady said…
Ender's Game

link

Based on Orson Scott Card's SciFi book. Wikipedia says (about the book): "In a future where mankind has barely survived two invasions by the "buggers", an insectoid alien race. The world's most talented children, including the extraordinary Ender Wiggin, are taken into "Battle School" at a very young age to supply commanders for the expected Third Invasion."

Last I heard Orson Scott Card was writing the screenplay. That should help it stick more to the book. However, I'm still a little nervous about it because it would involve young, most likely inexperienced actors.

एक साल  से अधिक पुराना iluvjesse said…
I've heard about Twilight and Lovely Bones before. I know for a fact Twilight is definitely a movie and I'm pretty sure Lovely Bones is too. However, I've never heard of Trintin as a book or movie.
Inkheart (2008)
A little girl (Eliza Bennett) rallies her friends -- both real and imaginary -- to rescue her father (Brendan Fraser), a bookbinder who can bring characters to life by reading aloud, from the clutches of an evil-doer (Andy Serkis). Adapted from the young adult-child fantasy novel by Cornelia Funke, and is the first book of the Inkworld trilogy.
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)
Roald Dahl's classic story animated by Wes Anderson? Interesting...
Casting is still in talks, but Cate Blancett & George Clooney will (prolly) voice Mrs. & Mr. Fox.
Just in case anyone is curious, I get most of my info from IMDb.com.
Holy smokes! This comes straight from IMDb's Movie & TV News!

Hanks & Howard Ready 'Da Vinci Code' Sequel

Angels & Demons (2008)
"Hollywood superstar Tom Hanks and director Ron Howard will begin shooting a sequel to their 2006 smash hit The Da Vinci Code in February. Angels & Demons - again based on a novel by Dan Brown - will see Hanks reprise his character of Harvard University symbolist Robert Langdon. This time the literary hero will be involved in a frantic quest to find the world's most powerful energy source. The Da Vinci Code will be a hard act to follow - the movie has made $757,236,138 at the international box-office. Angels & Demons marks the fourth time Hanks and Howard have teamed up for a big screen project."

But isn't Angels & Demons just the same book as The Da Vinci Code, just with a different quest and a different girl/romantic interest (with a different nationality)? This is definitely one sequel in mine eyes that does NOT need to be made.
Where the Wild Things Are (2008)
(From YuppiePunk): "This is the [movie] one we’re most psyched for. One of our favorite directors — Spike Jonze — teams with one of our favorite writers — Dave Eggers –- to tell the story of one of our favorite books — “Where the Wild Things Are.” And with a cast that features Catherine Keener, Forest Whitaker and James Gandolfini, this live-action / CGI / animatronic hybrid of the children’s classic ought to be fantastic. Please, please, please don’t let this suck."
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना lynne_204 said…
The Time Traveler's Wife (2008)based on Audrey Niffenegger's novel, directed by Robert Schwentke, starring Eric Bana, Rachel McAdams and Ron Livingston. My favourite book, hope they don't spoil it!!!
link
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना angel_02 said…
I heard of two but i'm not sure does anyone know anything about uglies by scott westerfeld and maximum ride - angel experiment by jamess patterson. I heard rumors but i can't find anything yet.
link Although the idea that it has a 2008 release date is laughable considering no director nor actors are listed (inferring a lack of casting yet). Thanks for the heads up though!
Ramona (Quimbly) appears to be in the works for another movie adaptation, due out 2009. So will Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (2009). But imdb.com offers nothing on these titles except for the possible release date.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना evrogers said…
There's a new adaptation of Jane Eyre in the works starring Ellen Page. This film should be out in 2009. Below is the Variety story about the production:
link
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना harmonykhkairi said…
I am eagerly awaiting the film adaptation of Cirque Du Freak. So far all that's been often is a crappy screenshot. I want a trailer! I really want to see this adaptation but somethings already have me scared like the change of the character Debbie Hemlock to a white, blond, preppy looking chick (they even changed the character's though i can't recall it and I can't be bothered to look it up right now). Did Hollywood suddenly become racist pigs and have an issue with a white boy and a black girl having feelings for each other? Or heck they could have left out all romantic interests and just let them be friends.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना BrookeWarner said…
Airborn
link
Matt Cruse works as a cabin boy on the passenger cruise ship Aurora. When pirates attack the ship, he sets off with Kate de Vries on an adventure that takes them to an uncharted island that was once explored by Kate's grandfather.

The Amulet of Samarkand
link

The Boggart
link

Cirque du Freak
link
A young boy named Darren Shan meets a mysterious man at a freak show who turns out to be a Vampire. After a series of events Darren must leave his normal life and go on the road with the Cirque Du Freak and become a Vampire.

Dorian Gray
link
A corrupt young man somehow keeps his youthful beauty eternally, but a special painting gradually reveals his inner ugliness to all.

The Giver
link

A Great and Terrible Beauty
link
Led by her visions and the spirit of her dead mother, Gemma Doyle takes her boarding school clique deep into mystical realms controlled by an ancient group of women.

The Historian
link

The Hobbit
link

Jennifer Government
link
Welcome to paradise! The world is run by American corporations (except for a few deluded holdouts like the French); taxes are illegal; employees take the last names of the companies they work for; the Police and the NRA are publicly-traded security firms; and the U.S. government only investigates crimes it can bill for. Hack Nike is a Merchandising Officer who discovers an all-new way to sell sneakers. Buy Mitsui is a stockbroker with a death-wish. Billy NRA is finding out that life in a private army isn't all snappy uniforms and code names. And Jennifer Government, a legendary agent with a barcode tattoo, is the consumer watchdog from hell.

Life of Pi
link
Based on the best-selling novel by Yann Martel, is a magical adventure story centering on Pi Patel, the precocious son of a zookeeper.

Love Walked In
link

Neverwhere
link

New Moon
link
After Bella recovers from the vampire attack that almost claimed her life, she looks to celebrate her birthday with Edward and his family, only to have the family abruptly depart, leaving Bella to her own devices and the inhabitants of La Push, including her best friend Jacob Black. However, when Jacob suddenly distances himself, an entirely new mystery arises in the town of Forks that has nothing to do with vampires…

One for the Money
link

Skellig
link
Adapted from the Carnegie & Whitbread Award winning novel by David Almond.

Syrup
link

--most of these are scheduled for 2010 or 2011, with a few exceptions. I put the summaries available on the website there; that's why some have summaries and others don't.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना BrookeWarner said…
Oh! Update on Tintin!
link
Daniel Craig and Jamie Bell have signed on.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Ethansgirl said…
Having recently read several ebooks in the paranormal/fantasy genres,including Twilight, Spellbound, My Blood Approves and Ethereal, my pick is Spellbound by Olivia Grosser. It was the story of a girl, a ghost and a whole new world of possibilities. I was in suspense the whole time with this high school thriller.
It's a great read for $2.99. Seriously, it's THAT good. Writing is very polished and I'm in love with all the characters. Hope to keep this thread going - and would like to see it on the big screen soon - so check out the link or buy the book: link
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना authorspalace said…
Divergent the Movie and Legend the Movie are going to theaters 2014.