प्राइड एंड प्रिज्युडिस Economy of tradesmen and gentry in the 19th century

applefield posted on Aug 29, 2008 at 06:14AM
The Benettes keep pigs and ducks in their yards and look poorer in the 2005 movie than in the 1995 version. Because there's no such description the book, I think it an exaggeration. But in reality, how poor do you think the Benettes were?

प्राइड एंड प्रिज्युडिस 6 उत्तरों

Click here to write a response...
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना becca85 said…
I would classify them as middle class. I think I read somewhere that their income was 2000 pounds per annum, so definitely less then the Darcys and Bingleys, but still an OK income.
last edited एक साल  से अधिक पुराना
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना applefield said…
Yes. They are OK enough to have servants to cook for them. But in the 2005 movie, they are more like a farmer family and their house look dustier than the rather neet house in the 1995 BBC mini-serires. I imagine the 1995 version is closer to Austen's image of the Benette's.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Miss_Benneth said…
big smile
Yes, a middle class :) in the version 2005 was really exaggeration with the pigs in a house
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना applefield said…
Miss_Bennete,
Actually, I also suspect that Mr. Darcy's house, in both the 1995 drama and the 2005 movie, might be a sort of exaggeration. Though Mr. Darcy is a wealthy gentleman and his aunt is a lady, he doesn't hold an aristocratic title. But the houses used in filming were all aristocrats' home.(In my knowledge, the 1995 drama used Lyme Park and Sudbury Hall; the 2005 movie used Chatsworth. Tell me if they were wrong.) I'm not sure if it was possible that a wealthy genry family possessed a mansion as grand as those of dukes, marquesses and arls. I imagine they could buy ones from bankrupted or extincted aristocrats.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना DR76 said…
The Bennet family are members of the uppper class. Most modern viewers seemed to think that only money determined the social position of someone in Regency England. This is not so. Mr. Bennet is a landowner and therefore, a member of the landed gentry and the upper class. It does not matter how much money he makes in a year. And all five daughters have inherited his social standing, despite his marriage to a woman from the middle class.

The Bingleys are members of the middle-class, despite being wealthier than the Bennets. Mr. Bingley is NOT a landowner. He had merely rented Netherfield for a period. And his family earned its money through trade, not the land. Despite their wealth, the Bingleys are members of the middle class.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना 50ShadesOfDarcy said…
laugh
Who cares!?!?!? Matthew MacFayden is HOT!!!!!!! 'nuff said!!! <3 <3