पेंग्विन्स ऑफ मॅडगास्कर Group Project: Become a Voice Actor!

SJF_Penguin2 posted on Jul 12, 2012 at 01:07PM
Several of you may recall the wall post I put up on June 29 about my thought that it might be fun to try to get a few fans to record a short Penguins of Madagascar scene of some sort together. Since there was a lot of interest, I've spent some time trying to come up with a plan that would allow for a trial. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to conduct a recording session over the Internet with the resources I have available.

I thought I might be able to do it by having participants record their lines on video and then upload their videos to YouTube under the Creative Commons license option, which would allow me to remix the videos using YouTube's online video editor. However, as I've discovered, the online editor is too limited to be able to play around much with audio tracks, let alone think about incorporating artwork or animation. So I've determined that the only way to get the results I'm looking for probably requires having actual video or audio files that I can edit myself.

If people still want to give this project a try, participants would have to email me a video or audio file of the material recorded (or otherwise make the material available for me to download). In either case, it's only the audio portion that would be needed, so no one has to show themselves on camera if a video is submitted.

I already have a scene in mind if there is still an interest in attempting this. The scene calls for the voices of Skipper, Marlene, and Rico. Please respond on this forum if you would be interested in playing one of these characters. For now, it's OK if more than one person is interested in playing the same character. Additionally, if you're not up to voicing a character, the scene also calls for a number of visuals that you might be interested in working on instead.

I hope to post more details in the coming days. Until then, please comment with any and all thoughts you may have.

पेंग्विन्स ऑफ मॅडगास्कर 140 उत्तरों

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 51-100 of 140

एक साल  से अधिक पुराना SJF_Penguin2 said…
We are indeed getting a bit ahead of ourselves. For now, the only focus is on the needs of the scene "A Ninja's Worst Enemy." There may be a role for writers in the future, but as I've said previously, I don't have to be the only director/producer/coordinator of a project like this, so I continue to hope that this project being the first of its kind will inspire others to develop ones of their own.

@Pomfan2011: For voice acting, you may try for any of the three parts in my script on the first page, but I'm most in need of a Skipper.

@Riconator: Thanks, I look forward to hearing your Rico. I will send you a message so that you can send me the Rapidshare link.

@LeonardFan: The scene doesn't have a lot of sound effects, and I am already thinking of the best ways to produce the ones needed. As for a checklist, I pretty much have a mental one already. Assuming I receive recordings for all three characters by July 28, I will then decide whose auditions to use and will go to work on editing the audio together. Once I'm satisfied, I will begin to seek the visual components (drawings or animation) and will work to edit them into the video. After that will come anything else necessary to get the video all prettied up before the big red carpet premiere on YouTube.

For now, the biggest challenge seems to be finding a voice for Skipper. Anyone have Tom McGrath's phone number?
last edited एक साल  से अधिक पुराना
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना CuteCuddly said…
hmmm
^ Sorry, can't help ya there. I can do a fairly good Skipper voice, but I'm not allowed to email anyone I haven't met before.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना NoShameHere said…
PFT and when do you need this by? XD
@CC: Don't worry about it. Thanks for your interest anyway.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Skiparah said…
Not to be the party pooper, but have you guys ever actually gone backstage and seen pom in progress? It takes weeks..even months for the teams to develop just 1 episode alone. We don't have the technology, or the mechanism for doing it the way it used to be. I mean, how could we ever find a kid with the unique voice of Skipper? It seems like the possibilty of recreating the show would be driven away from the classic perfection it held due to our desires of what WE want to see in episodes and ect. Am I being a real jerk? I mean, I'm just explaing what I know. I've studied movie-making and animation and I can tell you it's not a walk in Central Park. There's Viacom we have to worry about dealing with copyright issues. There's getting the old backgrounds just right by searching through the Dreamworks Archives or making our own from scratch. Plus there's the characters we have to think about. They're drawn by the pros and animated through a computer, and other things a computer can't get are animated by hand. Tom McGrath had experience with previous movies and such, but we don't. We're going to be..blind in the dark. I'm all for the idea! I really am, but how are we kids- some OCEANS apart- going to get this done?
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना EppofangirlXD said…
^I'm guessing the least we could do is gather art made by fans and flash them when the characters are speaking. :3 Anyway... Haven't you read any of the posts in this forum...?
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना LeonardFan said…
hmmm
^IKR, it's just a short scene with short dialogue and with fan art made by the fans. I don't see what's wrong with that, plus it won't hurt to try to make one...
^ Agreed.
It's interesting to see that a link to this forum has been tweeted seven times, according to the counter on the first page. Two are mine, though.

As for a quick update, I received one Rico audition yesterday, so this project continues to make progress.

@Skiparah: If I wanted or required show-like perfection, I never would have pursued this idea. This is just a fun, simple, fan-focused project. It's true that anyone who voices a character here is unlikely to sound exactly like that character on TV, but we go with the best talent that we have available. Artwork or animation need not be elaborate—no set designers needed, no background archives need to be browsed through—but just enough to visually tell the story. If animation is done at all, it could be as simple as something like this with Kowalski and Private (link). And as for copyright, well, technically all fan fiction stories are already unauthorized derivative works from the start.

All in all, the most important goal of this project is to have a little bit of fun. If in the end the final result is less than I may have wanted or less than others may have hoped for—or if this project fails entirely—at least we tried. The idea for a project like this is one that I've had for quite a while, and I finally decided that I wanted to try doing it sometime before the show ended.
^ That video, with Kowalski and Private, was very well done.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Skipperlovah258 said…
^ Ditto from me. The voices weren't bad either, actually they were very similar to the actual voices of the actors that plays those two in the series.
^ They were.
Regarding the Kowalski and Private clip above, the audio was from the film The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure. The characters were voiced by Jeff Bennett and Rob Paulsen (Archie in The Penguins of Madagascar).
^ So they got original voice actors? Cool. I doubt we could do that though.
^Which is why we're gonna do as close as possible! ;)
^ Exactly.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना mouseandowl1 said…
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but you could go to blabberize.com (I think that's how you spell it) for the mouths.
@CC: No, the person who made that animation video just took the audio from a movie, as I mentioned earlier. There was no work with the voice actors themselves.

@mouseandowl1: Interesting, but not what I'm looking for. Thanks anyway, though.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना juhpink said…
angelic
Well I think it is a very niiiice idea !! It is very fun to be a voice actor , I believe but my voice is very different from Marlene's hehehe ... Although I really think it would be a very good idea to the voices of the characters be the fans voices seemed or not with the real voice actors , cause we are doing it as the people who wacth it , not the people who is graduated in doing animation,and would be funny to see them with other voices too... So if the voice is very different that is okay :-D And I think I could help with the drawings if necessery :-D Let's do the best we caaan
@SJF: Oh! I'm so dense... XD
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना xDark_Angelx said…
@Skiparah-I agree with SJF said; they work on making the animation and writing excellent and to close prefection, but we're only trying this for fun. The animation doesn't have to be the best or anything--like I said, it's all in fun. :)
I have someone who's trying for Skipper. XD
So who do we have that's doing the animation, so far? Or do we? XD
big smile
You have someone who's trying for Skipper???? That's great!
Progress report: I have received one audition for Skipper and another audition for Marlene. People are still free to audition for any part until July 28, but since I've gotten at least one recording for each part, we will have a full cast no matter what. I am considering making one attempt at Rico and Skipper myself just for the sake of trying, but I am pretty sure that I will not end up casting myself.

Because I plan to edit the final audio together sometime on Saturday, I ask that any auditions be submitted by noon Eastern time. I will reveal the cast once the editing is complete.

@NoShameHere: The artwork end of this project has not been entirely decided on yet. JediPenguin16 has expressed an interest in trying animation, and if it is practical, it would be nice to see the scene animated. If animation is not practical, however, a series of still drawings will be fine to represent the scene. For consistency, I would probably want to have the same person do all of the artwork—that way, the characters don't look different from one cut to another. If still drawings are used, I have not yet determined the manner of selecting an artist. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Oh, I see. :3

I was just wondering because, I CAN animate, though it is tedious. Though I must say there can be two people working on it. For example if she really wanted to do the art, I can just make the basics and outline where things should be per animation frame, and she can draw out the frame.

However, I would, of course, have to warn her that it IS a lot of work. XD Not that I'm doubting her own animation skills either.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना SaturdaySurpris said…
smile
That sounds so, so cool!
@NoShameHere: Two people working together is fine by me, especially with the complexities of animation. In fact, it would probably make the whole process smoother and easier.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना yappy24 said…
surprise
i wonder how this will turn out... where can anyone watch when its all completed?
@yappy24: I will upload the video to YouTube. From there I will embed it here on Fanpop, as well as link to it from a few other of my accounts. Hopefully others will want to share the link as well.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Kowalski1321 said…
i want to try out for the Skipper role. Personaly I'm not afraid to act out something, so that's good. I can put emotion and feeling when I read it, but my Skipper voice can be commanding but doesn't really sound like him. But i'll still try out
big smile
^Go for it!
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना yappy24 said…
surprise
When this is all complete anyone with a twitter account should tweet it to thenvoice actors of pom and the producers and all that stuff, that would be pretty epic
Just as I intended to do, I spent some time this afternoon editing together the audio portion of this project. The following people have been cast as the voices of the characters: Skipperlovah258 as Marlene, TheSpeed0fLlight (from deviantART) as Skipper, and Riconator as Rico. Thank you to all who auditioned.

For those interested in hearing how things sound so far, I have placed the audio portion up on YouTube (link). The audio includes my attempt at sound effects to simulate the sound of bowling pins falling over and the sound of a ball rolling toward them. The few short pauses represent areas where something takes place in the scene only visually.

Please share any comments you may have about the audio portion and any suggestions for improvement you may have. Tell me also if you think anything sounds too loud or too quiet, as some of the audio I had to significantly change the original volume on.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना mostar1219 said…
laugh
Funny and amazing.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Private1sCut3 said…
smile
All of you guys did a good job! Love the Rico part. xD
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना xDark_Angelx said…
Sounds great! The person for Skipper is pretty good.
laugh
That was awesome!
I love it! Skipper's voice is hilarious. ;)
^ Yeah!
big smile
Both the Skipper and Rico parts were absolutely AMAZING! The audio's great too!
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Riconator said…
big smile
Huzzah! That was awesome! Obviously the best part was my Strike! line. Just kidding, they were all good. The feeling for Marlene's lines were perfection but I think Skipper's could've have used a little more variety. But still, Skipper's voice was good, better than mine impersonation of him. Overall, Awesome Job and I can't wait to see it animated.
Thanks for all the nice comments. I look forward to when the next phase can begin.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Andjane said…
He he this is cool I like skippers line where he says show me what you got. It was hilarious hope u guys can keep practicing and stuff =D
hmmm
When will the next phase begin???
@Skipperlovah258: Good question.

The next phase is the artwork phase, and what really has to be determined is if the scene will be animated or use still drawings. That should be determined soon so that I can better gauge how long it will be before the whole project is complete and a video can be made. Hopefully things can be finished during the month of August.
Oh, well as I mentioned I can animate, and I'm not the only one. :B Toondraw on DA also caught wind of this, and would like to help. XD Then there's all the other artists on here....

Mayhaps an organized team can be formed? One for the outlining, one for the drawing, one for colors, and one for background? Something like that? I dunno, I'm just throwing stuff out there. :B
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना LeonardFan said…
big smile
I suggest by way of email, once a work is done, It can be passed (emailed) on to the next person who continue the work, and so on and so forth. Until it's finished :) Yeah I know I can't do that much help :P
@NoShameHere: OK, with that in mind, I will officially say that we will indeed go for animating the scene. I like your idea of forming an organized team to work toward that goal—especially the organized part. Because you know what you're doing when it comes to creating visual art, if you could help coordinate the art/animation end of the project and keep everyone involved focused and moving forward and the artwork reasonably consistent, that would be appreciated.

As for right now, can enough work begin with the audio on YouTube and my script, or is there anything else that you and other animators would need from me? Or any questions that I could answer? Also, in regard to what LeonardFan said above, does email work for a project like this or would something else need to be set up?

Lastly, as a comment to everyone, I appreciate all the work that has gone into this project so far. If PenguinFest or something similar ever happens, I'm buying lunch for everyone involved in this production.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना KowalskiRocks said…
I can't imitate anything and I can't draw either, but I still want to help. Anything I can do? Like maybe do background music or something? I can't compose, but I can play the piano. Or maybe I can help pitch in a few ideas for future episodes or something.