John Wayne John Wayne was a walking contradiction.

Holmes001 posted on Jan 19, 2013 at 12:51AM
I love John Wayne as the next fellow, but I have read his IMDB profile and the quotes supposedly made by the Duke and I find to have been a walking contradiction. For someone who was supposedly morally and socially conservative I beg to differ on that.

John Wayne detested profanity in movies in 60’s and 70’s. He did think proper for the average American family they did not need to hear that. It’s not that I don’t agree with this it is just John Wayne did opposite of what he preached.

There are several quotes made by John Wayne where he used a ton of profanity and blasphemy against God’s Holy name. Here is proof of that.

12/29/64] I've had lung cancer, the big C. But I've beaten the son of a bitch. Maybe I can give some poor bastard a little hope by being honest. I want people to know cancer can be licked. My advisers all told me that the public doesn't want its movie heroes associated with serious illness like cancer, that it destroys their image. Well, I don't care much about images, and, anyway, I would have thought there was a lot better image in the fact that John Wayne had cancer and licked it.
Hell yes, I'm a liberal. I listen to both sides before I make up my mind. Doesn't that make you a liberal? Not in today's terms, it doesn't. These days, you have to be a *beep* left-wing radical to be a liberal. Politically, though ... I've mellowed. (1973)

I never had a goddamn artistic problem in my life, never, and I've worked with the best of them. John Ford isn't exactly a bum, is he? Yet he never gave me any manure about art. He just made movies and that's what I do.

Hell yes, I'm a liberal. I listen to both sides before I make up my mind. Doesn't that make you a liberal? Not in today's terms, it doesn't. These days, you have to be a *beep* left-wing radical to be a liberal. Politically, though ... I've mellowed. (1973)

So, it is improper to use profanity in movies, but it is perfectly okay to use them statements when addressing a certain issue or nothing importance. The Duke is sending a mixed message and setting an bad example to young people that swearing makes you man, whether John Wayne intended it to be that I can’t say. Also he very little respect for God for having taken his name in vain and use it with obscenities.

But here is the real kicker, folks did you know there was politically correct side to John Wayne? I sure didn’t unit now, I most stunned and disappointed in Wayne.

“I've always had deep faith that there is a Supreme Being, there has to be. To me that's just a normal thing to have that kind of faith. The fact that He's let me stick me around a little longer, or She's let me stick around a little longer, certainly goes great with me -- and I want to hang around as long as I'm healthy and not in anybody's way.”

To refer to God as a she is most offensive thing John Wayne ever said. Though, he has referred to God multiple times as a he, this one takes presidence over all the rest. I don’t believe the Duke ever picked up a bible before and read it. If he did then he would know that bible makes is very clear that God is not a she. “Our father who are in heaven.” There is no excuse for this, and ignorance is not bliss and even the bible even tells us that. I never figured John Wayne to be politically correct person, but maybe this was the only time in his life where he was.

John Wayne was always critical of movie westerns that did not his formula of one. He considered them to too violent, and did betray the mythical west, that we see in John Wayne’s westerns. He criticized Clint Eastwood numerous times for betraying the code of the west.

“That isn't what the West was all about. That isn't the American people who settled this country” on Plains High Drifter. John Wayne grandson recalls Wayne invited Clint Eastwood to his home and looked Eastwood new western, the grandson remember hearing his grandfather say, Oh Clint why did you have to shoot him in the back.” Here is an another of John Wayne contradicting himself.

“I made up my mind that I was going to play a real man to the best of my ability. I felt many of the western stars of the twenties and thirties were too goddamn perfect. They never drank or smoked. They never wanted to go to bed with a beautiful girl. They never had a fight. A heavy might throw a chair at them, and they just looked surprised and didn't fight in this spirit. They were too goddamn sweet and pure to be dirty fighters. Well, I wanted to be a dirty fighter if that was the only way to fight back. If someone throws a chair at you, hell, you pick up a chair and belt him right back. I was trying to play a man who gets dirty, who sweats sometimes, who enjoys kissing.”

Well John Wayne certainly kissed a lot of pretty female leads in vast acting career, but his characters never went to bed with the beautiful girl. John Wayne never done to begin so why mock earlier westerns who did not show sex. By the way John Wayne hated provocative sex in movies, “I read someplace that I used to make B-pictures. Hell, they were a lot farther down the alphabet than that . . . but not as far down as R and X. I think any man who makes an X-rated picture ought to be made to take his own daughter to see it.” I agree with Duke on this very much. So why put down earlier westerns to who feature this perversion, yet when he would not put his boots under a ladies bed for movie audiences to see?

“Screw ambiguity. Perversion and corruption masquerade as ambiguity. I don't trust ambiguity.” Well, Wayne thought cowboys of the earlier era of Hollywood to too saint like, he makes it seem want to the cowboy too be ambiguous, yet he detested it facet of in humans. He wanted to play it dirty and not the straight and narrow gunslinger, but he did care for Clint Eastwood’s take on westerns. Though, his was more realistic than Wayne’s. In Clint Eastwood showed people in west were just as cowardly, corrupt, vulgar, as today. People in 19th century were not purists as come to think of them in John Wayne movie features. John Wayne wanted people to think Americans as whole were good people but their not and never have been. If anyone misrepresented the west it was John Wayne. Americans as pure and noble what a fable that is. Deceitfulness, arrogance, cold killers, sexually ambiguous, is more the true story of earlier America as well as today. Most lawmen in the west were corrupt. Americans are only noble and good on the big screen. America does not need to be glorified only Jesus does.

The druggy

“There's been no top authority saying what marijuana does to you. I really don't know that much about it. I tried it once, but it didn't do anything to me. The kids say it makes them think they're going thirty miles an hour when they're going eighty. If that's true, marijuana use should definitely be stopped. When I went to Hong Kong, I tried opium once, as a clinical thing. I heard it didn't make you sick the first time, and Jesus, it just didn't affect me one way or the other, either. So I'm not a very good judge of how debasing it is.”

Besides using Jesus’s name in vain. I was shocked and unhappy that the Duke experimented with pot. I guess back then people like Wayne did know the ill effect it has on people who smoke it. I hate marijuana and I regard to people who use the substance as bad people. The ones mostly use pot are liberals and I don’t like them either. I wonder what John Wayne would think of the controversy surrounding marijuana today. Would he be favor of making legal? He was sort of liberal.

Defending Jane Fonda

[1979] I've known Jane Fonda since she was a little girl. I've never agreed with a word she's said, but would give my life defending her right to say it.

I much prefer to have said, that Peter should have put Jane across his knee and give her the biggest spanking she ever knew of than turn her over to every G.I in military. Her bottom would be so red it match the flag of Communism. Instead, he was soft toward and says he would defend her right to spread anti American rhetoric and spit in the face of our Military. Saying we would all be better of if we were communists. Yet, this is the John Wayne who supported the blacklisting, was partly responsible for throwing Carl Foreman out of the country the writer behind High Noon, which he highly detested. “During the Vietnam War he was highly critical of teenagers who went to Europe to dodge the draft, calling them "cowards", "traitors" and "communists". Well, Jane Fonda was certainly a traitor and a communist. What she did during Vietnam War was treason and she should been hung for it. It shows us that John Wayne held an elitist attitude towards Hanoi Jane, but not the average American.

The fornicator and adulterer

After his third wife Pilar Wayne left him in 1973, Wayne was happily involved with his secretary Pat Stacy for the remaining six years of his life.

He and Pilar never divorced, but he was cozy with another woman. Technically, by God’s standards that made him adulterer and he probably was shacked up with Pat Stacy for the remainder of this life and they made whoopy on several occassions. Then that makes him a fornicator a man represented conservative values but in private life he did displayed none of that, especially in his marriages. The Bible tells that God only allows people remarry if death or adultery took place. Actually Pilar had every right to remarry since Duke cheated on her when they separated.

I don’t believe John Wayne was a Christian. Now, I know a lot people will disagree with me, but hear me out. If Wayne was a Christian would he refer to God as a she when real Christians know better? Than there his filthy tongue using blasphemy words regularly, he made it seem that profanity was apart of his everyday vocabulary. Or maybe thought he would make him sound more macho when really all it did was make him sound stupid. Finally then there is his adultery. I know this is not going to set well with denominational Christians who differ on the subject of remarrying.

I used to look at Duke Wayne as a very high up standing in guy. A man with high set of principles, after all character counts more than looks and charm. Yet, I beginning to see Wayne in a whole new light and I don’t like it one bit. I see man say one thing and do another. I don’t think Wayne was very good human being after especially now that I know he was cohabitated with Pat Stacey. He had no moral right to be with her he was still married to Pilar. However he never had to remarry his other wives from first one. He first wife was cold person and wanted to maintain high social life with Hollywood elite crowd. Then I recall that his wife Pilar claimed she was pregnant with Wayne’s child before they married and you all know back than that was an end to actor’s career and Wayne’s would have been over. So what does John Wayne do he acts cowardly forces Pilar to abort the pregnancy to save his precious acting career. I use to think John Wayne’s was the best human being in Hollywood how deceived I was about that.

John Wayne was certainly an ambiguous individual. I have lost almost all my respect for John Wayne that I ever had for him.

John Wayne 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना sagerider said…
John Wayne was a better man than you on his worst day. HE wasn't a hypocrite. He was closer to the real and flawed men that built this country than a small back-biter. Why didn't you mention the hundreds of people he helped without blowing his own horn like todays celebs do. This was a really mean-spirited post by a self-proclaimed 'good' person. I bet you have some dirty laundry yourself, Pilgrim.---Sage