वाद-विवाद Offensive Slurs on फैन्पॉप

Cinders posted on Oct 20, 2007 at 06:43PM
I'm ranting here to avoid yelling at someone else.

Over at the Harry Potter spot, you may or may not know that a huge controversial fact about Albus Dumbledore, the mentor figure in the series, was revealed by author JK Rowling. She admitted to fans that Dumbledore was gay, and had a relationship with the dark wizard Grindewald in his youth that blinded him to Grindewald's evil intentions.

Now a pick was posed over at said spot: "Did you know Dumbledore was gay." (It was a repeat pick but besides the point)

This was an actual response made by a person I won't name here: "it just ruined the books for me. im so pissed off... i hate fagots."

This is absolutely uncalled for and all I said in response was "Please don't use slurs like that on Fanpop."

But I really wanted to yell.

link

I have to go. But I'll rant more later.

वाद-विवाद 17 उत्तरों

Click here to write a response...
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना katiemariie said…
I saw that. It made me angry, too.

I posted a pick at the Office spot asking how a gay character should drive his snobby live-in boyfriend (Gil) to moving out.

Someone responded with: "i fucking hate gil. i hope he burns in hell what a fag"

I made a joke out of it by saying that the poster was an incredibly judgmental fundamentalist character from the show. I haven't seen the guy around since. I clicked on his username today and it went the Fanpop front page, so I think his account got deleted or something.

Karma.

PS
link
last edited एक साल  से अधिक पुराना
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना DrDevience said…
See, people like that make really good toys....
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना Cinders said…
Oh yes. I stopped being angry when he actually began a correspondence with me. It was highly amusing. I'll forward it to you if you like.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना DrDevience said…
I slapped him around a bit, though subtly... so I doubt he will even understand that he has been slapped. heh.

And yeah... Send it on. I could use a bit of amusement this morning.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना kateliness2 said…
DrD... I think you need to stop cutting people slack based on age :)
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना ste3344 said…
I know the person who wrote it was young but he should keep rude comments to himself. He should have just appologised and ended it but then went on calling being gay "a sickness". wow i didnt really realise how idiotic people could be when it comes to this topic. If dumbledore is gay that is fine but its silly people saying that they dont like the books anymore.(love all your debates cinders)
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना nonames said…
definately post that conversation cinders...and to kateliness2...he has no right to speak like that...hate speech is not covered by the first amendment....secondly ur prob right that hes just repearting what he hears but he needs to learn some time before he gets in hot water for it...
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना kateliness2 said…
Did people read my comment correctly? I said people need to STOP cutting some people slack based on age.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना kathiria82 said…
I agree with Kate, just because people are young doesn't mean they should be excused for what they say. There are a tremendous amount of rude 13 year olds on here. People would then call me ignorant if I went and listed them all, that is what I feel like doing sometimes.
They give preteens a bad name.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना MajorDork74 said…
It is one thing to disagree with the lifestyle, but to cast out names like that I do not like. It is certainly and utterly uncalled-for!
Nobody's perfect. Hate is one thing that is not needed & it needs to stop. There is NO CALL for hating ANYBODY, regardless!
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना TweenaCat said…
People definitely don't need to be completely let off with stuff because of their age, but they do need to be shown a bit more understanding about why they did it. Obviously what was said wasn't acceptable, and the user who said it knows that now. I think he was made aware that people wouldn't stand for those kinds of comments. But preteens might not know any gay people, in fact many of them are questioning their sexuality themselves, and that would confuse them and lead them to make homophobic comments. In that way it's different from racism because people don't know how to connect it with themselves when they aren't familiar with the idea of their own sexuality yet.

Obviously, those comments can't be accepted from someone of any age. But accepting something is different from showing understanding to the person who did it, because of their age.
And it looks like time (and maybe those arguments from Cinders and emeraldtears had something to do with it!) did open his eyes...
He's growing up, I'm so proud!
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना thecon said…
Just read that post.... its was like a Movie.... can't believe the "To be honest I've been questioning my own sexuality this week..." comments. That was a plot twist I did not see coming!
Yeah, didn't expect that, coming from Ron. But I guess sexuality is quite random.
एक साल  से अधिक पुराना knifewrench said…
It makes me feel quite sad when young people speak that kind of gibberish. I have a friend who is such a hilarious guy and I totally get along with him, but (and I'm sure this is just because he's too young to get his head round homosexuality) he can be kind of homophobic at times and it makes me feel really sad whene someone that I know has such daft views.